At Urban Psychometrics in Brisbane, we are often asked how we can help organisations to better understand their employees. Specifically, how to use a psychometric assessment and an aptitude test to recognise the strengths and weaknesses of team members, and how their personalities may or may not support team effectiveness.
This article outlines a few key considerations for achieving this type of understanding and our recommended approach for these businesses.
Tailored psychometric assessments
We understand that some psychometric assessments are more or less suited to different population groups in Brisbane. Therefore, at Urban Psychometrics in Brisbane, we have a range of tools that can be used in these situations.
Some of our more commonly used psychometric assessment and an aptitude tests for understanding personalities include:
- NEO Personality Inventory-3: A personality test that uses a standard five factor model of personality (Neuroticism, Extraversion, Openness, Agreeableness, and Conscientiousness).
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator: A self report questionnaire indicating people’s preferences in how they perceive the world around them and make decisions, based on these perceptions.
- Occupational Personality Questionnaire: A 32 scale questionnaire that assess a person’s preferences under a work context. Basically this test asses how well an individual aligns with their role.
- Team Management Profile: A 60 item questionnaire that is focused on understanding an individual’s approach to their work. This profile includes an understanding of their leadership strength, decision making skills, interpersonal skills and ability for team building.
- Work Personality Index: This psychometric assessment measures personality traits directly relating to an individual’s work environment and their effectiveness in their role.
All of the above tools are based on a 4 or 5 type model of personality and help people toward a better understanding of their own behaviours, attitudes and preferences, providing a solid foundation for team development dialogue.
Understanding Team Dynamics
A team development workshop helps the team to explore their strengths and challenges and identifies any key issues or problems. It also helps leaders to understand their team’s mix of strengths and weaknesses.
A key element of our workshops at Urban Psychometrics in Brisbane is a number of interactive experiential activities that help to illustrate differing work styles, communication and problem solving strategies of the individual members of the team. This ensures that the workshop is not just theoretical, but is based in practical reality.
There are three stages for understanding the mix of personalities within a team and how they can support or hinder one another: personality profiling, individual development and team development.
For more information on psychometric assessment in Brisbane, contact us on 07 1803 6147 or complete our online enquiry form.